By Olga Berman
Pho-like Matzo Ball Soup
4.5 ounce Manischewitz Matzo Ball & Soup mix
3 quarts water
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 star anise
2 inch piece of ginger, cut into a few pieces
2 teaspoon sugar
1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
1 cup snowpeas, halved
1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
2 peeled carrots, made into ribbons using a peeler
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil with a spice package from the boxed mix, sugar, chili sauce and coriander, cloves, anise and ginger. (Note: put coriander, cloves, anise and ginger into a big teaball or cheesecloth so you can easily remove it).
2. Meanwhile, combine the matzo ball package with an egg and oil. Mix. Let sit in the refrigerator for 15 min.
3. Once the liquid part of the soup is boiling, form about 14 balls (wet your hands with water to make this process easier).
4. Drop the matzo balls into the liquid, turn the heat down, cover and cook for 15 min.
5. Add snowpeas, cabbage, and carrots, Cook for 5 more minutes and serve!
Olga Berman spends her free time cooking, salsa dancing and traveling. Check out more recipes from Olga’s collection at Mango & Tomato and feel free to contact Olga at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any cooking questions.
One thought on “Pho-like Matzo Ball Soup”
It’s not really a recipe if you are using a matzoh ball mix. If you do not make the soup from scratch, it will not have a taste of real soup…even with all of the spices….